Thursday, July 21, 2011

Resignation from Embrace Books

Yesterday afternoon, I resigned as Executive Editor for Embrace Books, the popular fiction imprint of Salt Publishing.

I wish all the writers there long and successful careers, and have thoroughly enjoyed the process of running a small independent fiction imprint, from commissioning writers through to helping to promote their books.

I've learnt a vast amount about writing and editing fiction from my work at Embrace Books. Editing is not a job for the faint-hearted, nor indeed the brutally honest. I had to develop skills as an editor that I'd never needed before as a writer - like being tactful, for instance!

It's also challenged me to grow in social terms. Being an editor isn't all about staring at a computer screen for hours or scribbling on manuscripts. Writers can get away with that kind of isolated lifestyle but editors can't. Needing to go out and meet authors in person, do the rounds at the London Book Fair, write long chatty emails, talk at conferences, and generally behave like a normal social creature has been immensely good for me. In fact, I may never slink back into my cave again!

I shall be concentrating on my own writing from now on, largely as Victoria Lamb, and can only hope it has benefited from a year spent on the other side of the desk.

Many heartfelt thanks, meanwhile, to all the lovely authors with whom I've worked at Embrace, and to the team at Salt who supported me in my work there. It's been an amazing year!

6 comments:

Rachel Lyndhurst said...

I'm very sad to see you go, Jane, I've learned a huge amount from you and you gave me my big break. I will always be grateful for that.

Wishing you the very best of luck in the future,

Rach.
XX

Cathie Dunn said...

Best of luck with your writing projects, Jane! You deserve your big break. :-)

Kath said...

All the very best to Ms Lamb when you next see her (which'll be today, going by this post?). I hope she appreciates you making more time for her. x

Kate Allan said...

Thank you for all your hard work with The Lady Soldier. I will never forget one of your comments about it. ;) Will be following Victoria Lamb with great interest and hope to still see you at all the usual parties. :)

Poetry Pleases! said...

Dear Jane

I'm still in my cave - although I did have to emerge briefly to edit Rusty's 'The Sloth Diaries' (now on Kindle.) I have no doubt whatsoever that whatever you choose to do in the future will be a unqualified success!

Best wishes from Simon

Jane Holland said...

Many thanks, all. I loved being at the helm of Embrace Books. It was a rush, and working so closely with such dedicated authors was an honour and a privilege. But alas, there's just not enough of me to go round.

Marching on to new things now and wishing all the best to the Embrace authors in their future careers.

Jx