Tuesday, December 29, 2009

2010: what's in it for me?

I was a little morose when I wrote my last blog entry. Sorry about that. Must be the time of year. I shall endeavour to be more upbeat in 2010.



From now until the spring ...

Current project is a proposal for a book on Creative Redrafting, based around a series of self-editing exercises I've developed over the past two years, specifically for use with the BA in Creative Writing students at Warwick University, though I did use part of it on this blog about a year ago.

The proposal is shaping up nicely, helped by the fact that I'm using the same basic material for five articles commissioned by Mslexia in the run-up to their poetry competition in April.

I anticipate getting this Creative Redrafting proposal done and sent off by the end of January, then I have a poetry project - possibly developing my Gawain sequence, or starting something new - and a new novel to work on while I wait for news on my last magnum opus. (Not to be confused with an opus magnus, which is what I put originally, my inability to decline Latin nouns and adjectives being legendary, despite twenty-five years of hard effort.)

Still haven't decided whether Gawain should go in my next poetry collection. I think it's unlikely. Such an oddity. But it would be good to get it published as a pamphlet or chapbook at some stage.

More reviews to write this month - a vast round-up of no fewer than 10 recent collections, commissioned by the marvellously supportive Poetry Review. You can find me in most of the PR issues from the past three years or so ... and pre-Herd and Potts too ... most recently in the current issue, 'This Time It's Personal'.



I haven't thought beyond Spring 2010. Is that foolish or a good thing?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, that makes two of us, Jane - have a great new 2010, and best of luck with Gawain and the Redrafting project. :)

Jane Holland said...

You have a great 2010 too, Barbara!

Poetry Pest said...

Dear Jane

Yes, have a wonderful New Year if at all possible. I shall continue to follow your blog with great interest.
Why waste your Gawain sequence on a chapbook? I'd include it in your next volume if I were you.

Warmest wishes from Simon

Michelle said...

Creative Redrafting sounds like a great idea, Jane. Looking forward to hearing about your progress.