Thursday, October 23, 2014

FLASH BANG: New & Selected Poems

I'm thrilled to announce the publication today of FLASH BANG: my New and Selected Poems 1996-2014. Almost twenty years in the making!

I've been hanging on for the past few years, wondering what to do about a Selected, which publisher to approach. But my experience with self-publishing - and my disposition in general! - has made this the best choice for me at the moment, as I explain in my previous post.

I hope those who have enjoyed my writing in the past will take this opportunity to pick up, at a very reasonable price, a selection of my best work to date, along with some brand-new poems. It's been a big step for me, publishing this selection of old and new poems, and I would be extremely pleased if some of you at least wish to come along on the journey.

All profits to the author!

FLASH BANG: New & Selected contains extracts from the following books: 'The Brief History of a Disreputable Woman' (Bloodaxe, 1997), 'Boudicca & Co.' (Salt Publishing, 2006), 'Camper Van Blues' (Salt Publishing, 2008), and 'On Warwick: Poems of the Warwick Poet Laureateship' (Nine Arches Press, 2008). 

Previously unpublished work includes extracts from: 'Gawain', a new version from the Middle English poem; 'Hango Hill: Poems of Illiam Dhone (Manx Martyr)'; 'The Dream of the Cross', translated from the Anglo-Saxon; plus a clutch of new poems. 


‘Extremely powerful and varied … Holland has both the clarity for the reader and the mastery of language to say what she means in a way that makes the brain tingle with both shock and pleasure … This collection is outstanding.’
 ANGELA TOPPING, Stride Magazine

'I reached the Boudicca sequence, and everything went electric … There’s a touch of Vicki Feaver about the violence and the cool delight in blood and innards, but the work is quite distinctive. I was dashing from poem to poem, completely compelled.'
HELENA NELSON, Ambit

'a true craftswoman, a supple and graceful thinker with an effortless grasp of line, at the heart of the English lyric tradition.'
FIONA SAMPSON, former Editor of Poetry Review 


Available as an ebook (can be read with free Kindle software on Kindles, iPads, iPhones and most other devices and computers) at:




4 comments:

Poetry Pleases! said...

Dear Jane

As promised, we have bought your Selected Poems and are looking forward to reading them.

Best wishes from Simon R. Gladdish

Jane said...

Thanks, you're a star!

Jane x

grahaeme barrasford young said...

Hi Jane,
having for some reason just been advised of your existence by Twitter
(I don't use Twitter, hence puzzlement) can I make the point that making your book available on Kindle rather limits your readership - I don't have a Kindle, and with the best will in the world, I'm not going to buy one just to get youyr book.

but best wishes, and I look forward to following your blog

Grahaeme Barrasford Young

JANE HOLLAND said...

Non-Kindle owners can still buy and access Kindle books via FREE Kindle apps on other devices like laptops, iPads or computers. Just go to the book page on Amazon on your chosen device and try to buy it - Amazon will then guide you through the process of installing one of these FREE Kindle-reading apps on whichever device you are on.

Simple!