Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Review of The Wanderer on the Happenstance site

I just found a groovy short review of my Heaventree-published pamphlet translation of the Anglo-Saxon classic, The Wanderer, on the Happenstance website.

Thanks to Matt Merritt for that. Not sure how long it's been there, but it's a great review and much appreciated. All those rather painful months of work on The Wanderer ... and now I can be sure at least one person enjoyed it!

P.S: Yet More Reviews, Summer 2009
There's also a charming review of Camper Van Blues (reviewed by Sarah Maskill) and a highly complimentary review of The Lament of the Wanderer (reviewed by David Morley) both in this quarter's issue of Poetry Review, which is entitled "Cosmopolis" and can be bought online or via most good bookshops.

3 comments:

Titus said...

It is unlikely that he's the only one. I enjoyed it enormously.

Jane Holland said...

Thank you!

I know I'm not so bad that I shouldn't be published, as that would be ridiculous and my own experience as a poetry reader tells me otherwise, but I can't help being a little astonished when people say they've enjoyed my work. (Just the knowledge that someone has bothered to read it at all is enough to astonish me most days.)

I never used to be so humble about my work. I'm getting less cocky with the years, I guess. Though never making the award shortlists might also have something to do with it!

Poetry Pleases! said...

Dear Jane

The reason you have never made the poetry award shortlists is because the people in charge are so comprehensively incompetent it's untrue. With a bit of luck we might see you at the Ledbury Poetry Festival. It looks like quite a reasonable line up this year. We haven't decided which days we're going yet - it all depends on finding a cat-sitter!

Love from Simon