Thursday, May 03, 2007

Reading at the Whitechapel Gallery TONIGHT

I'll be in London later today, visiting various favourite haunts and then heading over to the Whitechapel Gallery for my reading there, as part of the Salt in the Margins season.

At the moment I'm in the midst of a spate of readings from my latest poetry collection from Salt, Boudicca & Co - you can read Angela Topping's detailed review of this book online at Stride Magazine - having read in Atherstone this week, a Warwickshire booktown, and in Coventry last night at a launch event for the inaugural Coventry Festival of Literature and Liberty. I'll be reading at CB1 in Cambridge next week, on Tuesday May 8th, and at Warwick University the following Saturday. But going to London always feels like going home to me, having spent much of my early childhood in and around our capital city, so a poetry reading there is something very special for me. Especially this one, since it will be my very first London reading from Boudicca & Co.

If I'm lucky and my train down from Warwickshire isn't delayed, I should have a little spare time to head over to the Poetry Cafe before the reading and write some poetry there. It's been a while since I was able to do that, and since I love writing in cafes in the normal run of things, writing in a cafe specially created as a poetry space has to be a real treat ...


Here are the details of tonight's reading:

Salt Margins @ The Whitechapel Gallery
The Whitechapel Gallery, 80-82 Whitechapel Road, London E1 7QX
First Thursday of every month, 7pm start, Free entry

CAMBRIDGE, UK (Salt Publishing) The UK’s most exciting live literature promoters, Penned in the Margins, are joining forces with creative publishing house, Salt Publishing, for a series of free events at East London’s Whitechapel Gallery.

Heavily seasoned with poetry, storytelling, comedy, live drawing and music, the eclectic Salt Margins line-up is carefully blended to provide one of London’s most innovative performance nights, all in the comfort of The Whitechapel’s chic bar space.

Thursday 3rd May, 7pm, Free
In May, poet and former professional snooker player Jane Holland reads from Boudicca & Co (Salt) and Stuart Taylor premieres his poetic exploration of the city, Metropol. Cult author Amy Prior fuses words and visuals with her latest book I Can’t Believe How Great I Feel, featuring live drawing from Sarah Doyle. Plus, bright young thing Joe Dunthorne reads a selection of poems and stories.

No comments: